Two is company, but may not always be a crowd – is probably the message, Homi Adjania’s upcoming film ‘Cocktail’ wants to convey. Cocktail as the name suggests is about a love triangle between a young Gautam Kapoor (Saif Ali Khan), Veronica (Deepika Padukone) and Meera (debutante Diana Penty).
24-year-old vivacious and wild Veronica (Deepika Padukone) and Meera, shy introvert (Diana Penty), 23, start living together during the summer in London. Meera is trying to recover from her fraud marriage to Kunal Ahuja who has cheated her off her life-savings by using the excuse of setting up a base for them in London and is spending her time under Veronica’s roof until she gains a foothold in this foreign land.
While Veronica, on the other hand, is fancy-free and footloose, wild-child, impulsive, constantly looking for distractions to escape facing issues of a troubled upbringing. Being opposites the two forge a loyal and solid friendship. Soon Gautam, 32, (Saif Ali Khan) enters their lives, moves in with them and has a whirlwind relationship with Veronica much to Meera’s protective disapproval. Both Gautam and Veronica believe in living for the moment and they honestly consider this a fling rather than a serious relationship. As three people share one roof, their friendship grows and becomes a beautifully balanced friendship between three people.
Catch up with a few facts about the film, as it hits theatres this Friday, 13th July!
• Saif Ali Khan and Deepika Padukone will be sharing screen space for the third time after Love Aaj Kal and Aarakshan
• The film’s shooting began in London and has been shot on streets like Borough High Street, Portobello Road, Piccadilly Circus, Borough Market, Clapham Junction, Mayfair, Leicester Square, Bank Station, Brick Lane and many others.
• It is known that Deepika has grooved to a party song on a table, in The Grand nightclub, and is quite similar to the sequence from ‘Love Aaj Kal’ where she danced on a table in the song ‘Chor Bazaari’. The scene also saw the use of club lights and a DJ being hired to play the music, to give the song a real look and feel.
• A Pakistani song, whose rights have been bought by the makers, will be revised and sung in the film. Written by Imtiaz Ali, the film is eyeing a 13th July, 2012 release.
• Imran Khan was the first choice for director Homi Adjania, but since he was not sure, Saif was roped in for the role. • Diana Penty is another ramp-to-reel model, who debuts with this film.
• Deepika was offered both Veronica and Meera’s role, but she opted for Veronica as that was more challenging for her! • The official trailer crossed 1 million hits across Youtube in a span of three days.
• The film has been made on a budget of Rs. 45 crores!